Quality content vs unique content

Hola!

As some of you know, I am running a site for quotes about love. I know google is really into high quality unique content, but here comes a question.

Most of the quotes are the same since it has been written by someone else so how important is it to put unique quotes? I look at my competition and all of them blend the same stuff and I agree I think it is rather poor experience for the user, but maybe it is some kind of 'industry standard' ?

Another questions is - does google determine the ownership of a text? let's say I write my own quotes and put them on my site and they will contain the keywords that should classify them as 'high quality content' - what is someone just copies the quote into their own site? would google say - alright this is owned by this site, and this is just duplication?

I think Google consider quotes/images/videos and articles (300+ words) as different scenarios. Just think about the popular "Cogito, ergo sum", or a viral video. Does Google determine the ownership of that quote? Of course not. I think in that case things like social signs, comments, backlinks, page metrics, topic of site, and other thinks makes the difference.